As everyone is well aware, the coronavirus/Covid-19 outbreak affecting travel throughout Europe and beyond.
Whilst no one can be certain how long this situation will last, our thoughts that are that travel in April, May and probably June will be affected. Our hope is that by September things will have begun to return to normal, but we will obviously have to wait and see.
It’s a very tough time for all involved in the travel industry.
We at Hike Pyrenees would like to make things as easy as possible for all those who have booked holidays this summer and give everybody the opportunity to postpone their holiday until later in the year and also allow you to delay making your decision to travel until the last minute.
- Anybody who wishes to postpone their holiday to either later dates in September or October 2020 or to 2021, can do so. We will move any deposit that you’ve paid to your new dates and booking. You can move to any Hike Pyrenees booking and not just the same itinerary you originally booked.
- We will only be asking for payment 2 weeks before your holiday. This will hopefully allow you to wait and see how the situation develops before making any decision. In addition, if you would like to delay your trip until September or October you will have until the last minute to see how the situation develops and if you would like to travel or not. If not, you can always defer you trip to 2021.
For travellers from the UK, you can change flights on Easyjet and RyanAir for free at the moment. Many other carriers are starting to do the same and are allowing flight changes at no charge.
Unfortunately, we cannot refund deposits, but as stated above we are happy to move them to any other booking. If flights are cancelled or government advice is to not travel, then you should be able to claim your deposit back from your holiday insurance.
For those with a summer 2020 booking
If you have a reservation with Hike Pyrenees for this summer we will contact you by email, checking what you’d like to do. We’ve already contacted most guests that have reservations for the first half of the summer. Once we contact you just let us know if you’d like to postpone, or currently would just like to wait and see how the situation develops before making any decisions
For guests with reservations in July, August and September, we’d currently urge you to wait a while and see how things develop. If the situation does not improve we wil always let you postpone our holiday.
The current situation in Spain
Spain are being amazingly proactive in dealing with the situation and hopefully that will bring the situation under control as quickly as possible. It’s causing a lot of hardship here at the moment. All bars and restaurants are shut and people are only allowed to leave the house to buy food or visit the pharmacy. I have to say, people are being very sensible and there is a genuine sense that we all need to respect the lockdown, sit tight at home and help the country recover as quickly as possible
We appreciate your patience and support during this difficult time. Let’s hope that the situation improves as quickly as is possible and that we can all get out hiking in the mountains again soon!
We wish everyone all the best to all of our friends and guests for what will be a difficult few months for us all. Keep safe and we hope to all be out hiking in the mountains again as soon as possible!
Phil and the Hike Pyrenees team
Some useful links for checking current travel advice:
Advice for UK travellers:
• UK health authorities are providing detailed advice for specific destinations and locations which is available at www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public
• Travellers are advised to read the FCO travel advice for the country they are travelling to. Visit www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
• The National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) TravelHealthPro website travelhealthpro.org.uk/countries provides specific country-by-country travel health advice
• The NHS website has useful information about how to take preventative measures against Coronavirus at www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19
• ABTA also has updated advice and FAQs for travellers at www.abta.com/coronavirus
Travelling from outside the UK? Here are some websites you may like to consult:
• Ireland: Department of Foreign Affairs
• USA: State Department Travel Advisory
• Canada: Travel Advice & Advisories
• Australia: Smart Traveller information service
• New Zealand: SafeTravel
Join Our Newsletter
Get updates when we publish new blog articles and information about the Pyrenees
Discover the spectacular flora of the Pyrenees
Hike the GR11
A practical guide to hiking the GR11
This huge bone eating vulture is one of the Pyrenees emblamatic species