Puente del Paco in Sallent de Gallego
This 16th century bridge is called ‘el viejo’ or ‘del Paco’ as it links the district called ‘El Paco’ with the main part of the village. A wooden bridge has existed here since 1427 and was replaced by the stone bridge around 1565.
A lot of bridges were constructed in the valley around that time and this bridge was the final link in the route known as ‘Camino Real’ which linked Biescas with the French border and was important with the increase of trade between the two nations.
Initially the bridge had two arches one over the river and the over the water channel (acequia) that led to the mill. Once the mill was no longer used this second arch – and the water channel – were removed.
The newer bridge upstream was constructed at the end of the 19th century when advances in engineering allowed much stronger and more useful bridges to be built.